200g dark chocolate
5 eggs, separated
200g castor sugar
500ml cream, whipped
2 cans black cherries, pitted and drained and soaked in Kirsch
200g dark chocolate, grated
- Melt 200g dark chocolate in microwave or over low heat until thick and creamy.
- Beat egg-yolks until thick and light then slowly add castor sugar while continuing to beat.
- Add cooled chocolate
- Whisk egg whites and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into lined and greased Swiss roll pan and bake at 180C for approx. 30 mins.
- When cool turn out onto foil paper and spread with ¼ of whipped cream and ¾ of black cherries.
- Roll up into a log, cover with remaining cream and decorate with grated chocolate and remaining cherries.
(serves 10 – 12) I first tasted this delicious Black Forest Roulade at the Fern Hill Hotel (near Midmar). About a year later I found their recipe in a magazine and was absolutely delighted. I have made it several times and it has always been an absolute hit.